Thursday, February 5, 2015

A Graphic Novel

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel
Author: Ransom Riggs and Cassandra Jean
Published: Yen Press, 2013
Started: 1/20/15
Finished: 1/20/15

I picked up the novel Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children last year about this time at Target, and whizzed through it.  It is an easy read, and a lot different than much of the young adult literature hitting the scene lately.  The novel version tells the story of an kid who is exposed to these radical stories about his grandfathers past through these strange photographs, and eventually finds out that these "fictitious" accounts are actually true.  Ransom Riggs does a great job telling the story and puts a new twist by embedding these antique photographs that match up perfectly with the story (the photographs are allegedly real).  Alas, I did not read the novel for my reading challenge, I read the graphic novel.

Graphic novels are becoming more and more popular, especially when they take an already famous work and adapt it to pictures and dialogue.  The graphic novel was a great interpretation and the best part...it didn't leave anything out, or at least that I noticed.  I read the Percy Jackson graphic novel and it doesn't do the series justice.  Many classic works have been adapted into graphic novels and every one I have read leaves out a lot.  I understand leaving out things when adapting to screen, but when you are adapting to a different style of text, I don't understand the reasoning.  Miss Peregrine was a different story though.  Cassandra Jean left in many for the original photographs and used those as a basis for the illustrations.  

I recommend this book to anyone (both the original and graphic novel).  It is an odd story and I think the adaptation to graphic novel makes sense.  It's already a very visual book filled with great images.  I'm a fan of imagination which is why I recommend reading the original first, but the graphic novel (in my opinion) is spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment