Monday, January 5, 2015

A Book I Can Finish in a Day

Title: The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances
Author: Matthew Inman, aka The Oatmeal
Published: Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2014
Started: 1/02/15
Finished: 1/02/15

I love books about running, because I love running.  Any book that can give me insight to be a better runner is a win for me.  Every-time I am at the local book store I quickly glance at the sports section to see if there are any new running books.  Typically I am disappointed, because apparently not too many people are chomping at the bit for running material.  This time I ventured slightly to my left to the humor section and saw The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances.  I noticed it is written by The Oatmeal and knew that it had to be humorous (both by location and author).  I was delightfully pleased with this book after spending about 45 minutes to an hour reading it cover to cover.

The book itself is a mere 147 pages and it is a long comic.  You can actually read about half of the comic on The Oatmeal's website.  Though humorous in nature, the book has a certain motivating quality to it.  Point in case, I went out and ran 8 miles immediately after finishing the book.  The book explores distance running from the point of view of Matthew Inman (the author).  He grew up obese and lazy and decided to take up running.  He writes/draws about the, well, reasons why he runs.  It's not about health and fitness, it's not about vanity, it's not about completing anything.  It is about feeling good, controlling yourself, and owning your pain, worries, torment, and challenges.  He has advice, pet peeves, personal accounts, back story, a small scientific study on the Japanese giant hornet, and my favorite part, the telling of "The Blerch."  The Blerch is the replacement of the "wall" that runners often speak of.  Inman argues that the Blerch is true as opposed to the wall.  The Blerch is a sort of temptation, a fat, lazy conscience that continually wants you to stop and give up that run for a cupcake or 12.

A side note:  The comic has some vulgar language speckled throughout, so if your not into that, probably leave the motivation up to a book like Born to Run.  Though Christoper McDougall (author of Born to Run praises this book on the back cover.

I could really relate to this comic, obviously as a runner, but more as to the type of runner I am.  The comic argues that there is a proper way to enjoy running, and I agree 100% with what the comic has to say.  It's a short read, it's hilarious, and it may just inspire you to get outside and start running.

Favorite Quote(s): "Running is a way of standing up to all the stupid shit in your life and saying: 'I don't know how to fix you, so I'll just bend you into workable pieces.'  And the day I put on a pair of running shoes, I did just that.  I chose not to combat my monsters, I chose to put them on a leash and take them for a walk instead.  I chose not to fix my torment.  I chose to own it.  I possess it.  I chose to RUN."

"I remember finishing my first full marathon and feeling overwhelmed with a sense of immense pride.  I felt like I'd beaten the impossible.  I'd ended world hunger.  Found life on Mars.  Defeated the Kraken.  But in reality, what did I actually accomplish?  I shuffled, and sweated over a 26.2 mile stretch of pavement before gorging myself on granola bars and passing out in the warm afterglow of a runner's high.  I run long distances because it makes me feel better.  I run because I want to slay the Kraken; I just don't want to actually life the sword."

No comments:

Post a Comment